Moment armed police arrest man, 22, over ‘murder of girl, 9, stabbed in street’

This is the dramatic moment a 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murdering little Lillia Valutyte.

Armed police swooped on a road in Boston, Lincolnshire, and arrested the suspect at around 2.45pm yesterday.

It comes after nine-year-old Lillia was fatally stabbed while she and her sister played with a hula-hoop outside a cafe in the city.

Police launched a huge manhunt following her death, resulting in yesterday’s arrest.

One witness said the suspect initially fled officers by sprinting through gardens before being caught by police.

However, another neighbour seemed to contradict this account, claiming the man did not resist or attempt to run away from police.

Describing the arrest, witness Nedas Mikelionis, 24, told The Sun on Sunday: “The street was suddenly filled with police running everywhere.

“The guy they were after ran for it and police came pouring out of the house they had gone to and leapt in their cars to give chase.

“It looks as though he bolted through a back garden, then tried to escape into a park.”

Mr Mikelionis said a police drone was hovering overhead and he believes it helped them keep track of the suspect.

He added that at least 20 officers, including armed police, were involved in the arrest.

However, another neighbour told Mail Online: “I looked out of the window and saw police arrive in several marked and unmarked cars, and a load of armed officers coming out.

“They shouted out, “Any occupants, come out of the front door, and let us see your hands”.

“It took about five minutes for the guy to come out. I didn’t seen him resisting or trying to run away. They asked him what his name was, and then one of them said: ‘I am arresting you on suspicion of murder’.”

The resident said the suspect did not react when he was told he was under arrest for murder.

It comes after police arrested two men in their investigation into Lillia’s death, although both men were later released with no further action.

Lincolnshire Police made the latest arrest at around 2.45pm on Saturday.

The force said: “We have arrested a 22-year-old man on suspicion of murder. He is now in police custody. Officers detained the man in the Boston Central Park area at around 2.45pm today (30 July).

“The arrest follows a combination of intelligence and information supplied by several members of the public. We’d like to thank everyone for their assistance as we continue our investigation.

“We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident. There will continue to be a significant police presence in the town while our investigation progresses.”

A resident from the area told the Telegraph: “The little girl was playing in the street with her younger sister when it happened. They had some toys out.

“I’m sure her mum wouldn’t have been far away as she always checked on them. She was a very quiet girl, and I just can’t understand it.

“I didn’t see what happened, but we were told they (police) were looking for footage of a man running away.”

Lillia’s mum had been watching her girls play through the window of the cafe as she worked and was reportedly the first to the scene after the stabbing.

A local told The Sun: “Her mum had a business inside. She worked from a desk on her laptop and had been doing it for a couple of months.

“It’s only a quiet street so she would let them play outside.

“I think they had a hula-hoop and dolly’s pushchair. I’m sure she would have been inside.”

Following the stabbing, a doll’s pushchair could be seen lying in the road next to paramedic’s equipment.

Taxi driver Jonathan Newton, 55, said: “We are a close knit community here and the town is rocked to the core by this tragedy.

“She was just a little girl. It’s the most shocking tragedy to ever befall our little town.

“I’m just speechless.”